COVID-19 and Vitamin D
A recent study in Spain has also highlighted the importance of vitamin D in the current COVID-19 pandemic. It was found that up to 80% of people with coronovirus were found lacking in vitamin D. Don't get wrong idea that vitamin D will save you from conoronavirus. Instead, this emphasizes the importance of strong immunity, as one of the benefits of this vitamin is boosting our immunity.
Vitamin D Controls Calcium Absorption
The most important function of the D vitamin is to help control how much calcium is absorbed from food. The majority of the calcium is used to build strong teeth and bones but it is also needed to send messages along the nerves and to help muscles, such as the heart muscles, to contract. It is the D vitamin that ensures that there is always sufficient calcium in the blood to perform these tasks. Other functions that require the D vitamin relate to the immune system and it is believed that it is also a contributing factor in reducing the risk of contracting cancer and, in particular, colon cancer.
The variant of the D vitamin that is formed under the skin is known as vitamin D3, or cholecalciferol. This D vitamin is created when the ultraviolet in the sunlight reacts with a type of cholesterol that is found under the skin naturally. The D3 is converted into a more active form of the d vitamin in the liver and is then diverted to where it is needed the most. Some of the D vitamin remains in the liver and kidneys to help reabsorb the calcium from the blood. The rest of the D vitamin is dispersed to the bones to help them retain their calcium and the intestines to aid absorption of calcium from food.
Even though the majority of the D vitamin is formed through the exposure of the skin to sunlight there are some foods that do contain some of the vitamin naturally. This form of the D vitamin is known as vitamin D2, or ergocalciferol. This is used in the same way as the other D vitamins and is the type used to create the majority of D vitamin supplements. This type of vitamin usually comes from plant sources.
There are also two more recognized forms of the D vitamin: vitamin D4 and vitamin D5.
Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamin D deficiency can cause muscle weakness and bone fragility. There are two bone softening diseases caused by vitamin D deficiency (in amongst other things):
Vitamin D Benefits
While it's mostly known by its ability to assist healthy bones, vitamin D offers other health benefits:
Vitamin D Sources
As noted earlier in this article, the body produces about 90 percent of vitamin D needs itself using photochemical process (when exposed to direct sunlight), while the other 10 percent comes from food. Nonetheless, obtaining enough of this vitamin from food as prohormone, helps the body to convert it into hormonal substances, known as vitamin D.
Some of the best vitamin D sources include:
Some of the more recent studies have shown that vitamin D can play an important role in defending the body against cancer, or at least slowing down its progress.
Read more about this in our recent new update on vitamin D anticancer benefits.
Catch on some sunlight today and load up on your vitamin D!
Site last updated: 24. February 2021